turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get a Federal refund of $348 and I owe Colorado $723. The 2018 Form 1040-ES Payment Voucher indicates I should send the IRS a check for $477. Please explain/advise. ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I get a Federal refund of $348 and I owe Colorado $723. The 2018 Form 1040-ES Payment Voucher indicates I should send the IRS a check for $477. Please explain/advise. ?

Those are not for your tax due.  Those are 1040ES quarterly estimated payments for NEXT YEAR.  They are pre-payments so you don't end up owing again next year.  They are optional to pay and don't get sent with your return. 

If you are getting a refund, They might have printed out if you got a big one time increase in income.   like if you took a IRA or 401K Withdrawal or had a big stock gain.  They are optional to pay.  They don't get sent in with your tax return so the IRS won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Those are not for your tax due.  Those are 1040ES quarterly estimated payments for NEXT YEAR.  They are pre-payments so you don't end up owing again next year.  They are optional to pay and don't get sent with your return. 

If you are getting a refund, They might have printed out if you got a big one time increase in income.   like if you took a IRA or 401K Withdrawal or had a big stock gain.  They are optional to pay.  They don't get sent in with your tax return so the IRS won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies