I filled out my taxes with the Free File Program version, but we don't qualify for this version. There is no option to upgrade. How do I move the work to a full version?

My wife and I went through the whole joint filing process and at the very end we were informed we didn't qualify for the free file. This is fine, I don't mind paying, but the Upgrade button isn't available and there is no way that I can see to fix this. The only information given was a link to the IRS site that lists free filing options. I don't want to do all this work over again. I downloaded our filing data to my computer. What do I need to do now?

Once you use TurboTax  Free File Program you cannot go back to regular Online TurboTax in that same account.  That account's User ID is locked to Free File Program, and there is no upgrade option.   If you want to use Online TurboTax, it would have to be in a separate account, which means you would have to start over in the other account.  But you can use the desktop version without starting over.

"I downloaded our filing data to my computer."

If you have downloaded the *.tax2018 data file from the Free File Program to your computer, that file can be opened in desktop software (CD/download) to continue working on it and file.

Here's where you can purchase desktop software as a download or CD directly from TurboTax:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Or you may be able to find it a discount at a reputable authorized retailer such as  Amazon, Staples, Office Depot, Newegg, etc.  

Do not use an Internet search to find a "too-good-to-be-true" deal since there are a lot of scam sites with pirated software, malware, ID theft, etc.  Use only authorized retailers which are big well-known ones.

If you purchase outside of TurboTax, be aware that Deluxe comes in 2 versions--one that is Federal-only, and one that is a combo Federal and State version, so you have to be careful which one you buy.   Deluxe directly from TurboTax is the combo Fed and State version.

In the desktop editions there is a 24.99 fee to efile a state return (except free for New York.)  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

Basic Edition does not include a state program and cannot import from ItsDeductible.

When using desktop software to open the *.tax2018 data file you downloaded, if your file has a state return in it, then you must download the state program into your software before it will open the data file.  To download the state program you may have to start a new return just long enough to download the state program.

Thank you for the quick and thorough reply. Not to kill the messenger, but this is the most idiotic and ridiculous process I have ever heard of.

You're welcome.  Good luck.

Yes, it's a pain.  TurboTax says it's because the IRS won't let them comingle the Free File Program with its Online TurboTax products, so it's a separate website.

The reason why this is a stupid policy is that I have filed using Free a long time ago but have paid for TurboTax Deluxe for many years. I followed the link to one of the many emails that Intuit sends  and just started filling things out based on last years form. It doesn't make sense that they would "lock" me into the Free Filing Program automatically.

The TurboTax Free File Program is not the same as the Free Edition online TurboTax program.  Those are 2 different free products.   The Free File Program is run in conjunction with the IRS Free File Alliance, and is much more powerful than regular Free Edition.  It can handle all the usual Federal forms that Free Edition cannot, but you have to meet one of the qualifications to use it.

You said you started from a link in an email.   Are you sure you were using TurboTax Free File Program and not regular Online Free Edition?
Were you using this website which is Free File Program:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/</a>

I assume you were, since regular online Free Edition does have an upgrade option, and you said you had no upgrade option.

Yes it says Free File Program everywhere. The free file program was not listed as an option when submitting the question

OK.  Sorry, but there is no way to switch back from that same account.  Good luck with the desktop version.

Yeah I got these emails from Turbo Tax Free File Program and had no idea that was different from Free Edition so I just assumed I could upgrade if I had to after filling in my info. Very annoying and misleading.