Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

astory13

I did healthcare exemption through turbo tax. Do I need to do anything further like send in any type of form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I did healthcare exemption through turbo tax. Do I need to do anything further like send in any type of form?

No, you do not need to submit any proof for the exemption for "coverage was unaffordable".

The exemption code is on Form 8965, which is part of your tax return, but you don't need to submit anything else besides Form 8965.

However, be aware that most people do not qualify for that exemption, so be sure that you actually qualify for it (if you have any questions about it, please post back here).

Because most people do not qualify for it, it is quite possible that the IRS will ask you to prove it at some point in the future, so be sure to keep all of your documentation proving that you are eligible for it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Which healthcare exemption did you enter?

No, you do not need to submit any proof for the exemption for "coverage was unaffordable".

The exemption code is on Form 8965, which is part of your tax return, but you don't need to submit anything else besides Form 8965.

However, be aware that most people do not qualify for that exemption, so be sure that you actually qualify for it (if you have any questions about it, please post back here).

Because most people do not qualify for it, it is quite possible that the IRS will ask you to prove it at some point in the future, so be sure to keep all of your documentation proving that you are eligible for it.

astory13

If they saw my bills they would clearly see I can not afford it. I would love to have it I just simply can't afford it.

Unfortunately, there is an EXTREMELY narrow definition of what is "unaffordable", and most people who THINK they would qualify for it actually don't actually qualify.  Your 'bills' have nothing to do with the determination.

If you want to know if you meet the definition of "unaffordable", you first need to let me know a few things:  (1) if you are eligible for employer insurance or not (either through your own employer, spouse's employer, dependent's employer, or parent's employer).  (2) It would also be helpful to know what your AGI is (Line 38 of your 1040, Line 21 of 1040A, or Line 4 of 1040EZ) and if you have any dependents that file a tax return, what their AGI is.  (3) What State do you live in?

After you give me that information, I can guide you for how to see if you meet the definition of "unaffordable".
astory13

I filed single and I live in TN. I can't find any of the numbers you posted.
astory13

Yes I was eligible through work and eligible through my parents.

You need to ask your employer what the LOWEST cost of insurance would have been in 2016 and convert that to the cost for the ENTIRE year.  Then print out your tax return and find your AGI.

If your lowest cost of health insurance for the ENTIRE year is MORE than 8.13% of your AGI, you qualify for the exemption (there are a few extra things involved, but they are not too common).  If the cost of health insurance for the entire year is 8.13% or less, you do not qualify for the exemption.
astory13

When I got an estimate through the healthcare market place it was over 8.13% as far as employer goes I can't recall whether it was or not I will have to check.

Because you had access to employer insurance, the cost of the Healthcare Marketplace does not matter.

However, in case of others who may read this, if you did not have access to employer insurance it is the cost of the lowest cost at the Healthcare Marketplace AFTER the tax credits that you COULD have received.  So unless you do not qualify for the tax credit, it is VERY unusual for the Marketplace cost to be more than 8% of your income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies