I filed my federal taxes before finishing my state what do I need to do to finish my state taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Did you efile the Federal return, and if so,  has it been accepted?

Yes I did and Yes it has

Are there any better ways to get in contact with someone about this

This is often much faster than phoning.  Your initial question was responded to in 90 minutes.   But you took a week to respond after I asked for more info.   Your second comment was responded to in 25 minutes.   TurboTax Support closes in 20 minutes, and will be closed until Monday anyway.    Regular Free Edition does not have phone support unless one upgrades to PLUS.

I can tell you how to open your return to finish and file a state return.  See the detailed answer below.

Will I have to pay to recieve my state taxes

If you're using the regular Federal Free Edition, the Federal return is free.   The State return, however, would have a 29.99 preparation fee, whether printed and mailed or efiled.  (efiling is free).  There is no direct deposit fee.

You can go back and open up your State return to complete and file it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

NOTE:  When you go back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up:

• Log in and go to the 2016 Tax Timeline.
  • Scroll to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can go to the State Taxes tab to complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.
  • Then step through the Review tab.
  • When you go through the FILE tab for efiling, make sure you go all the way to the end and click on "Transmit return now."
  • Or if you choose to file by mail, it will offer you a chance to print the state return and Filing Instructions.
NOTE:   When you open the return back up, since you already filed the Federal return, do not make any changes/edits to the Federal side.  If you later need to make changes to the already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.