Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered my husbands and my w4 info under myself and had a refund of 7700 then corrected one of the w4s to my husbands name I and it dropped to 2700

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered my husbands and my w4 info under myself and had a refund of 7700 then corrected one of the w4s to my husbands name I and it dropped to 2700

If you were entering all of the income from both of your W-2's under only one of your names, then it probably calculated that you had paid excess Social Security, and inflated your refund.  You went back and corrected it to list the income under your individual names the way it should have been, so the refund dropped back to the right amount.

If you enter it all under only one name, you get "excess Social Security " refunded, and about a year later you get a nasty letter from the IRS demanding money back.   Good thing you caught your error and fixed it in time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

By entering both W2 under the same person it probably shows that you went over the Social Security max withholding and was giving you the excess back.   It looked like all the W2s box 4 SS was for one person and more than $7,960.80.  

If you were entering all of the income from both of your W-2's under only one of your names, then it probably calculated that you had paid excess Social Security, and inflated your refund.  You went back and corrected it to list the income under your individual names the way it should have been, so the refund dropped back to the right amount.

If you enter it all under only one name, you get "excess Social Security " refunded, and about a year later you get a nasty letter from the IRS demanding money back.   Good thing you caught your error and fixed it in time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies