j-kryan

I entered almost 6,000 worth of non reimbursed work related items and my refund is not changing, am i doing something wrong? Shouldn't this add something to my refund?

This is the first year that i have any work related expenses and am not sure how this works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jerry2000
Alumni

Not necessarily. Unreimbursed employee business expenses are an itemized deduction subject to a 2% of AGI floor, that means that only the amount of such expenses that are MORE than 2% of your adjust gross income are actually deducted, and You get no tax benefit from itemized deductions until all of them together add up to be more than your standard deduction.
2016 Standard Deduction
Taxpayer under 65, not claimed as a dependent
$6,300 for Single
$12,600 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child
$9,300 for Head of Household
$6,300 for Married Filing Separately
For over 65 or blind, add $1,250 for each instance or add
$1,550 each instance if single and not a surviving spouse.

jerry2000
Alumni

2016 Standard Deduction
$6,300 for Single
$9,300 for Head of Household
$6,300 for Married Filing Separately