turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is calculating "taxable social security" (TSS) wrong. According to the program my TSS is $6,775. But using the IRS calculation the proper amount is $15,578.

According to TurboTax my "taxable social security" is $6,775. But using the IRS calculation the proper amount is $15,578.  Which of course means the AGI for my tax return is WAY off.  I can't find anyway to fix this in the program. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

TurboTax is calculating "taxable social security" (TSS) wrong. According to the program my TSS is $6,775. But using the IRS calculation the proper amount is $15,578.

What "IRS calculation" did you try to use?  If you used that worksheet on the back of the SSA1099, it is not as simple as you may think.  You should enter your SSA1099 exactly as it appears and let the software do the calculations.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I did let turbotax calculate it.  It is doing it wrong.  I just got off the phone with the IRS BECAUSE turbotax is doing it wrong.   The IRS person on the phone used their own internal worksheet and came up with a different answer than turbotax.  He suggested a website that has a taxable social security calculator I could use and when I used it I came up with the same number the IRS guy had.

Then you entered some other income wrong.

Nope.  I've triple checked all the numbers.  TurboTax is doing it wrong.

Perhaps you have some other income that you entered incorrectly into the software then. TurboTax has not had any reported problems with calculating taxable SS.  What other income did you enter and where did you enter it?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Contact Customer Service 5am-5pm Pacific M-F  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>  

I entered all the numbers in the right place.  I pulled the numbers from my 1040 and plugged it into the calculator and it spits out a VERY different number than turbotax did.

Then you need a real time conversation with customer support to sort out your problem. You have a user error somewhere in your data entries.
To call TurboTax customer support
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

Pay the IRS the amount they are asking for, and move on.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies