1974usna

I entered 300 sf for home office for simplified method. TT rejects this and won't let me efile

According to IRS Publication 587, “If you used more than one home in your business during the year (for example, you moved during the year), you can elect to use the simplified method for only one of the homes. You must figure the deduction for any other home using actual expenses.”

Are you self-employed?
1974usna

yes I am.

The IRS prohibits using the Simplified Method for more than one home office during the same year.  Is that your situation?
1974usna

yes I did.  I moved in May 2018, and set up a new home office at the new location