Solved: I earned money as an independent contractor, but did not get a 1099-MISC because it was less than $600. How do I claim this as income.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike-nancyk

I earned money as an independent contractor, but did not get a 1099-MISC because it was less than $600. How do I claim this as income.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I earned money as an independent contractor, but did not get a 1099-MISC because it was less than $600. How do I claim this as income.

The IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Home & Business version of TT. There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

-        “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

The IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Home & Business version of TT. There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

-        “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings