Solved: I earned money as an independent contractor, but did not get a 1099-MISC because it was less than $600. How do I claim this as income.

mike-nancyk

I earned money as an independent contractor, but did not get a 1099-MISC because it was less than $600. How do I claim this as income.

Hal_Al

The IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Home & Business version of TT. There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

-        “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

Hal_Al

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc