turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't meet the threshold for form 8959 and would like to delete but it won't delete the form. How do I delete this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

I don't meet the threshold for form 8959 and would like to delete but it won't delete the form. How do I delete this form?

To delete that specific form in TurboTax Online:

1. Under Tax Tools, choose Tools
  2. Choose Delete a Form
  3. Scroll through your return until you find Form 8959, click Delete to the right of the form
  4. Confirm that you wish to delete the form
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for responding.  I tried that several times and it never deleted the form even after confirming it did.   It almost seems like they added the form and wouldn't let me remove it so I have to buy  the plus version .  I'm probably trying another tax service provider next year.

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

You must file Form 8959 if one or more of the following applies to you.

Filing Status                                    Threshold Amount

Married filing jointly                         $250,000

Married filing separately                  $125,000

Single                                              $200,000

Head of household                          $200,000

Qualifying widow(er)                       $200,000

This form will generate automatically if your income exceeds the threshold. The IRS instructions are in the link that follows. Review the "Who Must File" section of the instructions. Verify that you have not exceeded these amounts. If you have, you will not be able to delete the form.

IRS Form 8959

There must be a bug in the software because no of those apply to me.

thesob

Hi,

I have a pretty basic tax return filing jointly with my spouse, no fancy extra (stock sales, house owning or similar) and can't pass through the last step where I am asked to file Form 8959 (Additional Medicare Tax). This ask is incorrect since I my household income doesn't exceed the 250K. I have cleared the cache, browsing history, signed out and in again, deleted the form, received confirmation for the deletion of the form, but the system still requires me to upgrade to Deluxe. Seems like this is a bug caused by earlier decisions, although I can't point out where exactly this happens. Could you please confirm if I need to upgrade to Deluxe should I want to file a basic tax return?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

thesob

Additional info: In the link https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8959.pdf it states

Who Must File

You must file Form 8959 if one or more of the following applies to you.

• Your Medicare wages and tips on any single Form W-2 (box 5) are greater than $200,000.

Although I am filing jointly with my wife who doesn't have an income, it seems that since my earning is greater than $200,000 in Box 5 in the W2 form, I must file the Form 8959 since my employer has already withhold the 0.9% Additional Medicare Tax on my Medicare wages.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are required to file the Form 8959 if any W2 has over $200,000 in Box 5, even if your employer withheld the correct additional wages so you would need to upgrade to Deluxe.

@thesob

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies