tax4zones

I don't know what to do with a 1099-G for my parents. They didn't own the farm, but received a crop insurance payment, that should have gone to the LLC.

Is there any way I can claim this income, so that I don't have to do all the farm related stuff?

Hal_Al

Yes, you should go ahead and claim it.

But, your parents need to account for it on their return to ward off an IRS inquiry.

They should enter the 1099-G. Then enter an offsetting deduction.on line 21 of form 1040, for the same amount.  In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

- Federal Taxes tab
 - Wages & Income
Scroll down to:
-Less Common Income
      -Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
       - On the next screen, choose – Other reportable income - Enter the number with a minus sign (-) in front. call it 
 "nominee recipient adjustment for 1099-G"

Hal_Al

Yes, you should go ahead and claim it.

- Federal Taxes tab
 - Wages & Income
Scroll down to:
-Less Common Income
      -Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C