turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IHow to I transfer VISTA PC files to a Windows 10 PC without corrupting the files and being able to access the data for TurboTax 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IHow to I transfer VISTA PC files to a Windows 10 PC without corrupting the files and being able to access the data for TurboTax 2017?

I don't know what all you were including in the term "Vista PC files".

The file you need in order to transfer 2016 data into the 2017 program is the *.tax2016 data file.

The *.tax2016 data file is the same whether it is sitting on a Vista PC machine or on a Windows 10 PC machine.  You can use a thumb drive or a CD-R/RW to move the *.tax2016 data file from the Vista computer to the Win 10 computer.

The default directory for tax files is the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.  That's the easiest place for the 2017 program to find it when it starts a new 2017 return and tries to get the data file to transfer from the prior year.

If you're getting rid of the old computer, be sure you archive any other tax year data files and any tax PDFs you may have made.   And any downloaded TurboTax program installation files, if applicable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I don't know what all you were including in the term "Vista PC files".

The file you need in order to transfer 2016 data into the 2017 program is the *.tax2016 data file.

The *.tax2016 data file is the same whether it is sitting on a Vista PC machine or on a Windows 10 PC machine.  You can use a thumb drive or a CD-R/RW to move the *.tax2016 data file from the Vista computer to the Win 10 computer.

The default directory for tax files is the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.  That's the easiest place for the 2017 program to find it when it starts a new 2017 return and tries to get the data file to transfer from the prior year.

If you're getting rid of the old computer, be sure you archive any other tax year data files and any tax PDFs you may have made.   And any downloaded TurboTax program installation files, if applicable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies