Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I don't have the childcare number with me. Can we please forget this?

1 Reply
New Member

I don't have the childcare number with me. Can we please forget this?

You can still claim the child and dependent care credit when you're missing the provider's EIN or other taxpayer identification by demonstrating due diligence in attempting to secure this information.

Claim the childcare expenses on Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, and provide the care provider's information you have available (such as name and address). Write "See Attached Statement" in the columns missing information. Explain on the attached statement that you requested the provider's identifying number, but the provider didn't give it to you. This statement supports use of due diligence in trying to secure the identifying information for the claim. You will file a paper return by mail to complete this process.

Remember it is federal law for the child care provider to have to provide their EIN information to you for tax purposes.

To Delete the Childcare Provider in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to "Federal Taxes" at the top of the screen

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

3. Scroll down to "You and Your Family" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Revisit" next to "Child and Dependent Care Credit"

5. Select "Yes" to "Did you pay for child or dependent care in 2016?"

6. Select "Continue" on the Add Dependents page

7. You should now be at the screen that says "Here are your care providers. Next, we'll get your expense info."

8. Select the trashcan icon to the right of the provider you would like to delete

Another Way to Delete Form 2441(Child and Dependent Care Credit):

1. Go to "My Account" in the top right corner

2. Select "Tools"

3. Under "Tools Center" select "Delete a Form"

4. Navigate to "Form 2441" and select "Delete" next to it

For more details on how to file if you cannot obtain their information, see this IRS link: How to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit without provider info

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings