Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kschulze

I help my husband with his business and received a 1099-misc I then paid someone to help and issued 1099-misc -Where do I report the cost to me of paying someone else?

I do not need to consider myself self-employed according to the definition described on the irs website.  I just need to know where to deduct the cost of paying a person.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I help my husband with his business and received a 1099-misc I then paid someone to help and issued 1099-misc -Where do I report the cost to me of paying someone else?

Same place he put your 1099 on his Sch C ... enter it under Contract Labor ( look in less common expenses) 

kschulze

I don't have a business and filing schedule C seems too much.  Reading about misc. income, I fall under not for profit activities and I should be able to list it simply as a deductible other expense. From Pub 535, IRS
"Not-for-Profit Activities
If you do not carry on your business or investment activity to make a profit, you cannot use a
loss from the activity to offset other income. Activities you do as a hobby, or mainly for sport or
recreation, are often not entered into for profit.
The limit on not-for-profit losses applies to
individuals, partnerships, estates, trusts, and S
corporations. It does not apply to corporations
other than S corporations.
In determining whether you are carrying on
an activity for profit, several factors are taken
into account. No one factor alone is decisive. ..."

Sorry ... but you cannot have it both ways ... if you take in money earned and have expenses against said income to report then you MUST use the Sch C to report both ... in fact if you have an amount on the 1099-misc box 7 in excess of $400 then you MUST use the Sch C even if you think it is too much to do.   

The not for profit activity is for hobby income and you cannot take any deductions against that income any longer ... that section of the Sch A has been suspended until 2025.  

FYI ... pub 535 is for the Sch C deductions.

Read the CAUTION note on page 7.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies