When you earn money from side jobs like babysitting, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, and tutoring, the IRS considers you self-employed—even though you probably don't think of yourself that way.
Note: You may be able to deduct vehicle expenses, like mileage, tolls, parking, and other expenses that you had to spend to earn tutoring income.
The TurboTax products that support self-employed are:
- TurboTax Online Self-employed.
- TurboTax CD\Download Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business.
- What's the difference between TurboTax Online and the TurboTax CD/Download?
If your self-employment income was from cash or personal checks or credit card payments.
- Type sch c in the Search box and then select the “Jump to” link.
- This will take you to where you can enter any cash, personal checks or credit card payments (Form 1099-K) related to your self-employment.
- You may be asked some general questions about your business.
- After you answer them, you’ll be taken to the Your Business screen where you can enter this income as Additional Income under Business Income.
If you received a 1099-MISC or 1099-K for your self-employed income.
- Type 1099-misc in the Search box and then select the “Jump to” link.
- This will take you directly to the section where you can enter your 1099-MISC.
- You’ll also be able to enter any cash, personal checks or credit card payments (Form 1099-K) related to your self-employment.
- What's the difference between self-employment income and other income?
- Where do I enter a 1099-MISC?
- Why am I paying self-employment tax?
Still have questions?Make a post