turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I do not have money to pay my taxes right now. $420 federal and $410 WI state...I applied for extension. I do not file anything right now?

It is confusing for you are saying I need to file by tonight, but extension says have til 10/17/2017..so do I wait until I have the money to send in or what? I am confused for I have never had to pay soo much in taxes before....
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Bridget02

I do not have money to pay my taxes right now. $420 federal and $410 WI state...I applied for extension. I do not file anything right now?

The important thing to remember about extensions is that they only extend your time to file the return.  If you owe money, then the IRS and states expect you to pay by the normal tax deadline -- there's no extension for paying. So if you're filing an extension and you believe you'll owe, then you'll want to mail a check to the IRS or state.  

On the other hand, If you normally receive a refund, and you don't anticipate any change, then you don't need to send payment.

In regard to your state return: Some states will piggyback off the federal extension, so there's no additional state form to file.  Other states require you to submit their own extension forms.  TurboTax will walk you thru the state extension as well as the federal process to ensure you follow the requirements of your state.

If you're curious about your particular state, here's a list of extension requirements by state: https://www.irs.com/articles/state-tax-extension-information

TabbyL

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies