• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aliweedman

I didn’t have health insurance the last two months of the year due to being laid off. Do I have to pay the penalty fee for not having health insurance for those months?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I didn’t have health insurance the last two months of the year due to being laid off. Do I have to pay the penalty fee for not having health insurance for those months?

No, you would be exempt from the Individual Responsibility payment if you had a short gap in coverage (less than three months).

"In general, a gap in coverage that lasts less than three months qualifies as a short coverage gap. If you have more than one short coverage gap during a year, the short coverage gap exemption only applies to the first gap.If you have a coverage gap of 3 months or more, you are not exempt for any of those months."

See Questions 6 and 22 in this link from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, you would be exempt from the Individual Responsibility payment if you had a short gap in coverage (less than three months).

"In general, a gap in coverage that lasts less than three months qualifies as a short coverage gap. If you have more than one short coverage gap during a year, the short coverage gap exemption only applies to the first gap.If you have a coverage gap of 3 months or more, you are not exempt for any of those months."

See Questions 6 and 22 in this link from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v