I didn’t have any income in 2020 but I need to fil...

wmiller730

I didn’t have any income in 2020 but I need to file a form 8962 for the APTC. What do I do?

ColeenD3

You must file a return in this instance, even without income. Simply ignore the income portion of the return and fill out the Form 1095-A information to compute your APTC.

You must file if:

• You are claiming the premium tax credit.
  • Advance credit payments were paid to your health insurer for you or someone else in your tax family. For purposes of the premium tax credit, your tax family is every individual you claim on your tax return – yourself, your spouse if filing jointly, and your dependents.
  • You told the Marketplace that you would claim an exemption for someone on your tax return who was benefitting from advance credit payments, however, no one ended up claiming that individual.

For information about how to fill out this form, see the instructions for Form 8962. See Publication 974 for additional instructions for taxpayers in special situation

Mmiller730

Okay....I did not tell them I was claiming someone I don’t have any dependents. Secondly, why are you calling marketplace on my behalf? I did NOT authorize that! 

@Mmiller730  wrote:

Okay....I did not tell them I was claiming someone I don’t have any defendants. Secondly, why are you calling marketplace on my behalf? I did NOT authorize that! 

What?  No one is calling the marketplace on your behalf.  Why do you think that?

If you need a Form 1095-A then go to this healthcare.gov website - https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-form-1095/