turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I did not receive my full return. Already subtracted the fees and I’m still missing money. Haven’t received any letter saying my return was reduced. Anyone else have this problem using Turbo

For federal?  One thing to check is 1040 line 30.  Is it a lot?  Did you already get the 3rd Stimulus payment?  Or maybe the IRS thinks they already sent it to you.  

Or do you have children?  Check line 28 for the Child Tax Credit.  It should only be the remaining amount you qualify for after any advance payments you got.

Milograde

I did not receive my full return. Already subtracted the fees and I’m still missing money. Haven’t received any letter saying my return was reduced. Anyone else have this problem using Turbo

Never mind 

Jjmonman
Returning Member

Missing 5000 dollars. Like come on now they are messing with livelihoods.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

First of all, look at your PDF copy of your saved return, and check the amount on Form 1040, Line 35a.

If you have already received your refund and it's that much less than what is shown on your tax return, TurboTax has no way of knowing what adjustments the IRS made. 

Here's some common ones:

• The IRS adjusted the stimulus credit calculated on your return
  • The IRS adjusted the child tax credit calculated on your return 
  • The IRS made adjustments due to differences in what is reported to them or adjustments to certain credits and deductions
  • Your refund is offset as part of the Treasury Offset Program 
  • An adjustment for Federal taxes owed for a previous year

The will send you a letter explaining any adjustments they made. 

Click this link for more info on IRS Refund FAQs.

@Jjmonman

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm missing 5,000 too! Did you figure yours out??

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

You should receive a letter from the IRS telling you why your refund amount was changed.  The most common reasons so far this season are:

1. You did not enter that you received the stimulus payment in TurboTax, so your return said you were getting the money back, but the IRS caught it and said, no, you already received it.
    • If you look at line 30 of your 1040 and it shows an amount there, and you already received the $1,400 per person last year when they sent out the stimulus payments, this is likely the reason. 
    • If you do not remember getting the stimulus payments you can go back through your back records to double check.  Many people either didn't realize they did receive it or they forgot, but end up seeing it when they go back through their records. 
    • The Recovery Rebate is ONLY for those who did not get the Third Stimulus Payment
  2. You did not report the full amount of your Advanced Payments for the Child Tax Credit that you already received.  Again, the IRS will catch this and make the changes to your return. 
    • ​​​​​​​This would show on line 28 of your return. If you have 2 kids and you see $6,000 on line 28 then the IRS records show that you already received $3,000 in Advanced Child Tax Payments, but you entered that you did not receive any.  
    • Again, if you do not remember getting these payments you can go back through your bank records from July-December.

A couple other reasons include

1. You owed back taxes, child support, student loans or something else that caused your refund to be Offset to pay some of the past due debt. You should have received a letter if this was the case.
  2. Something was not reported correctly on your return and the IRS recalculated your return causing you not to have a refund. This could include things such as missing income or inaccurately reported income (ex. you entered $5,500 for your W2 box 1 instead of $15,500)

You should look for a letter from the IRS and if you do not have one or do not receive one, you would need to call the IRS at 800-829-1040 as no one else would have the answer as to why your refund was reduced.

@Awhit0513

mscoco905

I am missing almost 800 dollars after fees!!! No luck calling turbo tax, they push me over to tax product group. Calling them was no help either....

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If you are missing about $800, the following are them most likely reasons:

A couple other reasons include

1. You owed back taxes, child support, student loans or something else that caused your refund to be Offset to pay some of the past due debt. You should have received a letter if this was the case.
  2. Something was not reported correctly on your return and the IRS recalculated your return causing you not to have a refund. This could include things such as missing income or inaccurately reported income (ex. you entered $5,500 for your W2 box 1 instead of $15,500)

You should look for a letter from the IRS and if you do not have one or do not receive one, you would need to call the IRS at 800-829-1040 as no one else would have the answer as to why your refund was reduced.

Vmoney18

I’m missing over $1000, and I know exactly what I put in, there are no errors in my tax entry 

There's an "error" in that there is a confilct between what you entered and what the IRS has in their records, so they are holding part of your refund. In a few weeks they'll mail you a letter telling you why.  If this number is around $1400 (or $1500 or $1800 if you have kids)) or any multiple of these that is a 100% guarantee what it is.  

Alternately, you may owe some other debt that the IRS is charged with collecting - but the most likely issue is your tax return states you are owed either EIP3 or child tax credit in excess of what the IRS believes you are owed.  It is the IRS that you need to contact.  But they'll send you a letter in due time. Best thing is to wait for it.  

I did my taxes with trubotax , did not get all of my refund back just want to find out what is going on .

@jqlucky7  wrote:

I did my taxes with trubotax , did not get all of my refund back just want to find out what is going on .

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If so, how much less?

NCW2

I know the feeling I am missing almost 2k

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies