Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I did Fasfa for Fall Semester of 2017, do I claim thats as part of my taxes?

I paid partial of my tuition for Fall Sem of 2017, then the rest was through Fafsa. I received my 1098-T form and have an amount on “Box #2 amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expens
1 Reply
Level 7

I did Fasfa for Fall Semester of 2017, do I claim thats as part of my taxes?

Yes, if you paid for educational expenses, then you should add the amount you paid as an educational expense.  This is usually the amounts from your Form 1098-T, but you should double check your records to make sure the amount billed is the same as the amount you paid.  You should enter your total amounts paid, but then also record any scholarships or grants you received (these are often reported in box 5 of your Form 1098-T).  Enter all the required information and TurboTax will determine if you are eligible for an educational credit.  

You can enter this information by following the steps below -  

  • Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this before performing the search below)
  • Click the search icon (magnifying glass in top right-hand corner)
  • Search for "1098T" and click the "jump to 1098T" link that appears
  • This will bring you to the Education Expenses section where you can add a student and related Form 1098-T information 

See the following IRS link for further information on education credits - Education Credits - AOTC and LLC
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings