Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I contracted with a vendor to install media equipment in a home I was building. The vendor's work was not finished and what he did complete was not up to code. I had to hire another vendor to complete the work. I sued the vendor in small claims court a

I had to pay costs to issue him a warrant to appear, and lost approximately $1000 having to pay another vendor.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

I contracted with a vendor to install media equipment in a home I was building. The vendor's work was not finished and what he did complete was not up to code. I had to hire another vendor to complete the work. I sued the vendor in small claims court a

The Legal Fees are Deductible to your Business and you may expense the additional amount that you paid the second vendor to complete the job. You can deduct the attorney's if they are going to produce Taxable Income.

If any money is produced by the Lawsuit it must be entered into your business' Gross Income. The expenses of Legal Fees and the additional amount paid to the Second Vendor will offset the Income produced by a lawsuit. If you created a gain from this lawsuit it will be taxed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JaimeG

The Legal Fees are Deductible to your Business and you may expense the additional amount that you paid the second vendor to complete the job. You can deduct the attorney's if they are going to produce Taxable Income.

If any money is produced by the Lawsuit it must be entered into your business' Gross Income. The expenses of Legal Fees and the additional amount paid to the Second Vendor will offset the Income produced by a lawsuit. If you created a gain from this lawsuit it will be taxed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies