turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I haven't filed taxes in 13 years but 10of them years I claimed 0 dependents what should I do? I'm single and thought filing 0 dependents could help me, can it?

Should I get in touch with a lawyer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't filed taxes in 13 years but 10of them years I claimed 0 dependents what should I do? I'm single and thought filing 0 dependents could help me, can it?

you can call your state's CPA society or bar association and see if they can recommend someone.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies

What kind of income have you been receiving for all of those years?  Were you receiving W-2's from employers--you said you "claimed 0 dependents?"  Have you worked for employers who withheld tax from your paychecks?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have worked for this company for 13 years and have received my W-2 every year. The first 3 years I filed excempt and that's when I got sort of scared because I didn't have the money to pay back. So it just of excalated

I highly recommend you seek assistance from a local tax pro so they can educate you on what you need to file & what you can file for refunds.

Thank u very much

I completely agree.  You need help from a tax professional.  And not the kind in some pop up seasonal tax return place.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Any recommendations xmasbaby0

No.  We cannot recommend tax preparers.

Find a CPA or and Enrolled Agent in your area.
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can call your state's CPA society or bar association and see if they can recommend someone.  

BobB7

Just to provide a bit of comfort:  If you only have income from one employer who sends you a w-2 each year and you have been claiming 0 then it's likely that you will have a decent refund coming.  You definitely should get assistance this year.  I certainly would not look to the bar association for this help.  I would look for a CPA who has a tax practice or an Enrolled agent who is available year round, if needed.  The "big box" brand preparers often have EAs among their employees and you can ask about that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies