turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I committed tax fraud and stole the tax money for my daughter from her mother. How do I turn myself in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I committed tax fraud and stole the tax money for my daughter from her mother. How do I turn myself in?

I'm linking you to the IRS' webpage for reporting suspected tax fraud.  There is a telephone number for a Hotline, where you can leave a recorded message.  I'd expect that you'd hear from someone shortly.  You may even need to compose a letter yourself.

If you are not satisfied by any of the options on this webpage, simply begin by calling 1-800-429-1040.  This is the general IRS telephone number.  Hopefully you'll find the person you need to report this incident to.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

The Internal Revenue Service has specific procedures in place that involve filing a form to report the type of fraud you believe may be taking place.

You can use the link @Kat provided, fraud link,  or call the Tax Fraud Hotline recording at (800) 829-0433 and leave a message.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"How do I turn myself in?"

You never E V E R  turn yourself in prior to consulting with, and retaining, legal counsel.

You should ALWAYS be represented by an attorney with respect to this type of legal issue.

See https://www.avvo.com/

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies