Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I committed tax fraud and stole the tax money for my daughter from her mother. How do I turn myself in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I committed tax fraud and stole the tax money for my daughter from her mother. How do I turn myself in?

I'm linking you to the IRS' webpage for reporting suspected tax fraud.  There is a telephone number for a Hotline, where you can leave a recorded message.  I'd expect that you'd hear from someone shortly.  You may even need to compose a letter yourself.

If you are not satisfied by any of the options on this webpage, simply begin by calling 1-800-429-1040.  This is the general IRS telephone number.  Hopefully you'll find the person you need to report this incident to.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Internal Revenue Service has specific procedures in place that involve filing a form to report the type of fraud you believe may be taking place.

You can use the link @Kat provided, fraud link,  or call the Tax Fraud Hotline recording at (800) 829-0433 and leave a message.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"How do I turn myself in?"

You never E V E R  turn yourself in prior to consulting with, and retaining, legal counsel.

You should ALWAYS be represented by an attorney with respect to this type of legal issue.

See https://www.avvo.com/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies