Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nbadelo

I claimed my fiancé kids on my taxes, we have been together nearly 6years this is the first time I've done this. Now they want proof, what can I send as proof?

Proof so I can get the full eic credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I claimed my fiancé kids on my taxes, we have been together nearly 6years this is the first time I've done this. Now they want proof, what can I send as proof?

You cannot claim them as "Qualified Child" dependents for the EIC or Child Tax Credit because they are not *your* children and you are not married.

You can only claim them under the "Qualifying Relative" (or other non-related dependent) of you meet the requirements.    That will give the the $500 other dependent credit and nothing else.

In TurboTax you must enter them as "Other person", NOT your child.

The "proof" they want is a copy of the child's birth certificate with your name on it and/or a copy of your marriage  certificate to show that you are the step father.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As your fiance's children are not your biological children, they are claimed as Qualified relatives. They are not eligible for the Child tax credit or the Earned Income credit.

You can claim an unrelated person as a dependent (qualified relative) if he/she passes all of the following tests:

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. 
  2. The person must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local laws). 
  3. The person's gross income for the year 2020 must be less than $4,300. 
  4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
  5. The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national.
  6. The person is not a married person who files a joint return unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid.

The IRS is asking you to prove that they satisfy all these conditions, mainly that they are US citizens, residents or nationals, that they lived with you all year, and that you provided more than half of their support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies