turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkoo226

How do I file an extension as an overseas resident,I read that I just add it to my filing, but only option on TT is to file it separately& it requires US State+zip

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I file an extension as an overseas resident,I read that I just add it to my filing, but only option on TT is to file it separately& it requires US State+zip

The Online Easy Extension program requires a U.S. address in order to process your extension electronically.  

If you have a U.S. address that you can use, then you can just use that address (you can file your actual return with a different address, i.e. your foreign address).  Otherwise, you can paper file an extension form using the form below.  It is a very simple form to fill out and you can write in your foreign address.

You can also electronically file an extension using the IRS Free Fillable Forms  - you will have to create an IRS account and go through the filing process with them, but you can indicate a foreign country on this form and electronically file.  Note:  You will need to choose the option for income over $66,000 even if that doesn’t apply.

You also may qualify for an automatic two-month extension but reason of being out of the country, but you would need to use TurboTax desktop software to attached the requirement statement when you file your actual return.

bkoo226

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad">http...>

says that you do not need to file an extension for the automatic 2-month extension

How do I file an extension as an overseas resident,I read that I just add it to my filing, but only option on TT is to file it separately&amp; it requires US State+zip

You don't file an extension now.  But, when you file your actual tax return, you need to attach a statement that basically says why you qualified for the extension.
bkoo226

How do I file an extension as an overseas resident,I read that I just add it to my filing, but only option on TT is to file it separately&amp; it requires US State+zip

Are you sure I won't be audited for submitting an extension using a US address, then filing a return claiming foreign income exclusion with the physical presence test?

I can't tell you that you won't be audited as you could be audited for any reason or randomly.  But, the instructions for Form 4868 (link above) specifically give you the option of entering a different address ("If you want correspondence regarding this extension to be sent to you at an address other than your own, enter that address").  But, if you are concerned, you can certainly print out the Form 4868 above and mail it (use a certified mail option if possible to track).  The form is very simple to fill out.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies