Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lapd

I am US citizen working/living in US. Husband is Canadian living/working in Canada. He has SSN from 15 yrs ago - temp work VISA. Must I use his old SSN or can I use NRA?

I am filing Married but separate. He lives/works in Canada and has no income at all in US. I live and work in US and have no income at all in Canada. He has a SSN from 16 years ago under special work VISA that was granted for a very short period of time (international sports/coaching). Do I have to provide his SSN if he hasn't used it in 16 years or can I just put NRA? He has never had green card or anything, just the very short special VISA that he worked under for short time and that expired over 16 years ago. We want to do the right thing, preferring to leave him off my return by using NRA instead of SSN if possible. Will not be claiming him as exemption either.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I am US citizen working/living in US. Husband is Canadian living/working in Canada. He has SSN from 15 yrs ago - temp work VISA. Must I use his old SSN or can I use NRA?

If he has a social security number, you should use it.  If he is not living and working in the US, there are no consequences if he does not file a US tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies