chrisp0708

I am trying to enter information in my form 8889, for Line 14 (total distributions), but the Form is locked or something. It will not let me enter anything. How do I fi

BMcCalpin

Go back to the HSA interview and answer the questions there.

Go to Federal Taxes->Deductions & Credits->Medical, click on "HSA MSA Contributions" for the interview.

If the first screen is the HSA Summary, click Edit to start the interview.

As for Line(s) 14, this is how they are filled in the interview.

Line 14a comes from your 1099-SA forms that you entered.

Line 14b (for most filers) comes from how you answered the question on withdrawing any excess funds prior to the original due date.

Line 14c is just line 14a minus line 14b.

Line 15 is the amount of qualified medical expenses you spent the distributions on (you answered this question when you entered the 1099-SA).

Line 16 line 15 minus line 14c.

If you add the 1099-SA form(s), answer whether or not you had excess contributions and what you spent the distributions on, and then complete the HSA interview (go all the way to the end until you are returned to Your Tax Breaks), then these lines will be filled in.

Be very sure that you complete the interview.