Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i file through the mail

My childrens father wrongfully claimed himself and our children after I worked and supported all of them all year. I don't remember him working at all in 2016 but even if I'm wrong and he did it would have only been a week or less out of the entire year. We are separated now and this is why he is doing this. He has already filed and got a refund so I'm not really sure how to go about filing this year and how to start the process
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynB

I am so sorry. In this case, you are correct. You will have to mail your return in. You can try asking him to amend his return but regardless of whether or not he is cooperative you will want to paper file your return. The amend process can take weeks, even months. Follow these instructions to print and mail your return:

• Sign in to your TurboTax Online return.
  • Click File
  • Complete Steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already done so. then click Start next to Step 3
  • On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select File by mail, then on the pop-up screen make sure you select File by mail for federal and all of your states
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to print your return.

Everything you need to mail in your return will print out for you. To prevent identity theft, TurboTax recommends that you mail your return from a post office or give it directly to your mail carrier.

Once you file, your return will be processed. If the other party is uncooperative, the IRS will contact both of you to figure out who gets to claim the dependent. The losing party will then be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest as a result of the false claim.

If you found this information helpful please let me know by voting up my answer. If you need more information please feel free to comment back to this question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CarolynB

I am so sorry. In this case, you are correct. You will have to mail your return in. You can try asking him to amend his return but regardless of whether or not he is cooperative you will want to paper file your return. The amend process can take weeks, even months. Follow these instructions to print and mail your return:

• Sign in to your TurboTax Online return.
  • Click File
  • Complete Steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already done so. then click Start next to Step 3
  • On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select File by mail, then on the pop-up screen make sure you select File by mail for federal and all of your states
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to print your return.

Everything you need to mail in your return will print out for you. To prevent identity theft, TurboTax recommends that you mail your return from a post office or give it directly to your mail carrier.

Once you file, your return will be processed. If the other party is uncooperative, the IRS will contact both of you to figure out who gets to claim the dependent. The losing party will then be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest as a result of the false claim.

If you found this information helpful please let me know by voting up my answer. If you need more information please feel free to comment back to this question.

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. I can not believe I'm having to deal with all of this. I do have a couple more questions I wanted to ask you.....First, let's say I was able to talk him into amending his return, what exactly is that? And can he do that if he has already gotten his refund? It took so long to get my w-2 so I could even try to file and I'm really worried about him not only filing first but him also already getting and I'm sure spending most of his return. And when it's all said and done and the IRS does rules in my favor because I'm confident they will have no choice to because I supported our girls and their father for over five years straight, what happens next? Will they immediately issue my return and work out the details of what he has to pay back with him, or will I not get my return until his part of the issue is resolved? And one last question....When I fill out the paper work to send it in, I go ahead and claim as I normally would, don't I or is there a place to explain what has happened? I know I read that at some point I will have to send in proof that I supported everyone all year, but do I go ahead and send that in with my paperwork or do I wait to hear back from them? And what sort of documents could I use to prove that sort of thing? I want to go ahead and get everything prepared as quickly as possible seeing as it's already so late to be beginning this what seems to sound like a bit of a long process.
CarolynB

Hi. An amended return is filed after filing an original return. It is used to correct an error on the original return. If he filed thru TurboTax, he can use the TurboTax program to amend his return as well. If he amends his return, the issue is resolved because he withdrew his claim. In any case, go ahead and mail your return as you normally would. I would advise calling the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040 with your questions about the issuance of your refund. I can tell you they will not punish you for his wrongful actions. You do not have to mail in anything other than your return until the IRS contacts you. See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc654.html">https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc654.html</a> . The sections on earned income credit, dependents, and filing status will tell you what the IRS will ask for when they investigate this issue. If he does not agree to amend his return, I would probably go ahead and get all of the information described in this publication together so it is ready to send when they contact you. The information in this publication may help you convince him to amend his return as well.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies