Solved: I am single and working full-time. When my parent were here, they support my younger sister, but they are no longer in US. Can I claim my sister as dependant?

I am single and working full-time. When my parent were here, they support my younger sister, but they are no longer in US. Can I claim my sister as dependant?

I support her expenses after my parent left US. Would there be any problems if I claim her as dependant?

Yes, you can claim your younger sister as a dependent if she satisfies the following requirements:

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them. 
  2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.  
  3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.
  4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year. 
  5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax