turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

owner

I am self employed and run a LLC from my home. When I put in my childcare expenses, it says I do not qualify because I do not have any income. What do I need to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I am self employed and run a LLC from my home. When I put in my childcare expenses, it says I do not qualify because I do not have any income. What do I need to do?

In order to have a child and dependent care benefit, your LLC income self-employment income cannot be negative. When your LLC income is negative, that means you have no income for this purpose.

If your income is not negative, are you married and filing a joint return? Both spouses need income for this, or to be a full-time student or disabled. 

Does it make sense that your LLC is operating at a loss? If not, review your income and expenses on that.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

In order to have a child and dependent care benefit, your LLC income self-employment income cannot be negative. When your LLC income is negative, that means you have no income for this purpose.

If your income is not negative, are you married and filing a joint return? Both spouses need income for this, or to be a full-time student or disabled. 

Does it make sense that your LLC is operating at a loss? If not, review your income and expenses on that.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Single member LLC on Schedule C or in LLC partnership and get K1?
owner

It's a partnership LLC but between me and my spouse only so my understanding is I can treat it like a sole proprietorship in file a Schedule C
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Maybe. An LLC can be treated as 2 Sch Cs only if you and your spouse live in a community property state. Otherwise, you must file a 1065
owner

We are in Texas so yes
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Ok, good:-)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies