turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toonyank

I am recently divorced. How on the mobile app can i change from married to single? Not an intuitive app.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am recently divorced. How on the mobile app can i change from married to single? Not an intuitive app.

Short answer: You will need to make a new online account and start from scratch.  You can't reuse an online account in which you previously filed as married.

Long answer: If you are the first-named spouse, the one whose name would go on the top line of a printed return, you can probably change from married to divorced by logging into your account using a computer and a web browser.  You then have to make sure you completely delete any employers, income, deductions or other items that belong to your ex.  It is highly recommended that you make a new account instead.

If you are the second-named spouse, you can't re-use this Turbotax online file and must create a new account to start over.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Short answer: You will need to make a new online account and start from scratch.  You can't reuse an online account in which you previously filed as married.

Long answer: If you are the first-named spouse, the one whose name would go on the top line of a printed return, you can probably change from married to divorced by logging into your account using a computer and a web browser.  You then have to make sure you completely delete any employers, income, deductions or other items that belong to your ex.  It is highly recommended that you make a new account instead.

If you are the second-named spouse, you can't re-use this Turbotax online file and must create a new account to start over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies