If you e-filed your Federal return with TurboTax and it has been accepted then you can go ahead and file your state return with the instructions below. Federal returns are required to be e-filed with TurboTax before you file your State return as State returns are not sold as a standalone product with TurboTax and cannot be filed before your Federal return has been e-filed and accepted.
Please follow the steps below to file your State return:
Login to your TurboTax account and then:
- Click on My TurboTax, then click on My Tax Timeline. (top left of the screen just below the TurboTax logo.)
- In the SOME THINGS, YOU CAN DO section, click Add a state. (Important do not select continue with state return as it will send you back in a loop. Please select add a state, as this will bring you back into the program, even though you are not really adding a state. Instead you will be selecting the tab in the next step)
- Click on the State Taxes tab. (Located in the upper portion of the screen)
- Click Continue to start or complete your state taxes.
- Click Done with State.
- Continue through the flow to review and file your state taxes.