turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erinflan

I am married but filed separately. Why is my and my husband's name on my IL state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I am married but filed separately. Why is my and my husband's name on my IL state return?

If you are Married Filing Separately, IRS regulations require that your spouse's name and Social Security number must appear on your return. This serves two purposes. First, if there are items of joint income or deductions, or joint estimated tax payments, it assists the IRS in reconciling the separately reported allocations of these amounts.

Secondly, there are regulations that provide for coordination between the tax returns of spouses who file separately, most notably, the requirement that both spouses must treat deductions in the same manner -- either both must itemize deductions or both must take the standard deduction. Having the spouse identified on each return allows better coordination between the two returns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

If you are Married Filing Separately, IRS regulations require that your spouse's name and Social Security number must appear on your return. This serves two purposes. First, if there are items of joint income or deductions, or joint estimated tax payments, it assists the IRS in reconciling the separately reported allocations of these amounts.

Secondly, there are regulations that provide for coordination between the tax returns of spouses who file separately, most notably, the requirement that both spouses must treat deductions in the same manner -- either both must itemize deductions or both must take the standard deduction. Having the spouse identified on each return allows better coordination between the two returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies