turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gabypaty1

I am in Asylum process- Can I request my Daughter as a dependany eventhough she is not US Citizen or Legal Resident but she lived with us all year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeeM

I am in Asylum process- Can I request my Daughter as a dependany eventhough she is not US Citizen or Legal Resident but she lived with us all year?

Only if she is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

She may meet the definitions of a resident alien if she has either a green card or meets the substanital presence test as described below. 

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies