travisdalearmstr

I am going to use turbotax again this year. This year, we will owe around $2,300. I need guidance on how to set up installments. Do I file first? Or apply for installments first? How would I do that using turbo tax?

AmyT

Yes, you will file your tax return before applying for an installment payment plan.

The easiest way to apply for an installment plan with the IRS is to go to their website:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/payment-plans-installment-agreements.  This page also has additional information about installment plan and fees.

Please note that you should pay as much of the outstanding liability as you are able to by April 18, 2017.  This will reduce the amount of penalties and interest that are assessed on the balance.

AmyT