Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abus

I am filing married filing separately because me and my husband have not lived together in 2018 at all. When I enter state refund from 2017 do I enter half or all of it?

3 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I am filing married filing separately because me and my husband have not lived together in 2018 at all. When I enter state refund from 2017 do I enter half or all of it?

If you each received a Form 1099-G then you each will enter the entire amount of the state refund reported. Otherwise, you will divide the state refund and each report half this year.

[Edited 03/25/2019 I10:20 PM]

Abus

so we both enter the full state refund and both get taxed on it?  Seems like we would both enter half, since we are both being taxed on that refund.  I am confused as to why, since that is a double tax liability.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I have edited my answer above.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.6m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v