Abus

I am filing married filing separately because me and my husband have not lived together in 2018 at all. When I enter state refund from 2017 do I enter half or all of it?

KatrinaB

If you each received a Form 1099-G then you each will enter the entire amount of the state refund reported. Otherwise, you will divide the state refund and each report half this year.

[Edited 03/25/2019 I10:20 PM]

Abus

so we both enter the full state refund and both get taxed on it?  Seems like we would both enter half, since we are both being taxed on that refund.  I am confused as to why, since that is a double tax liability.
KatrinaB

I have edited my answer above.