turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am filing an LLC return. Business stared in Sept. 2019 so it is a short tax year. How can I specify a short year ending on 12/31? Program will only allow Jan-Nov.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I am filing an LLC return. Business stared in Sept. 2019 so it is a short tax year. How can I specify a short year ending on 12/31? Program will only allow Jan-Nov.

It looks like you are using TurboTax Business, so assuming you a filing for a Multi-Member LLC, as you go through the "About Your Business" section of the program, you will indicate the date you started your business.  This date will appear on line E. of page 1 of Form 1065.  Also in the "About Your Business" section, you will see "Are You Using a Calendar Tax Year?", which after you input the started date will indicate that you are using a "Short Year" (see screen shot below).

If instead of a mulit-member LLC you are a single member LLC you are a disregarded entity for tax purposes (unless you've requested S-Corp status) and you file on Schedule C, as part of your personal tax return.  You would check a box on Schedule C that you started your business in 2018.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It looks like you are using TurboTax Business, so assuming you a filing for a Multi-Member LLC, as you go through the "About Your Business" section of the program, you will indicate the date you started your business.  This date will appear on line E. of page 1 of Form 1065.  Also in the "About Your Business" section, you will see "Are You Using a Calendar Tax Year?", which after you input the started date will indicate that you are using a "Short Year" (see screen shot below).

If instead of a mulit-member LLC you are a single member LLC you are a disregarded entity for tax purposes (unless you've requested S-Corp status) and you file on Schedule C, as part of your personal tax return.  You would check a box on Schedule C that you started your business in 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies