turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Business tells me I must apply an update in order to e-file. Online->Check for Updates says no updates available. Re-install did not help. How I do resolve this?

I have downloaded and installed TurboTax Business 2018 multiple times. I do a Windows uninstall before re-downloading and re-installing.

Each time TurboTax is installed, it tells me that updates are available.  The updates download and install normally.

When I try to e-file, I get a dialog box that says updates are available and must be applied before I can e-file.  When I check for updates, none are available.

I have also tried a manual download of updates (w_bizrelsuperpatch_ttax).  The manual update appears to complete normally, and requires a Windows restart, but I still get a dialog box telling me updates are available and must be applied before I can e-file.

How do I resolve this?  I'm running a new install of Windows 10.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

76 Replies
rkorody

TurboTax Business tells me I must apply an update in order to e-file. Online->Check for Updates says no updates available. Re-install did not help. How I do resolve this?

I had the same problem and tried same solutions.  Spent 2 hrs with tech support, re-installing everything, but they couldn't fix.  I was able to E-file after removing the State return (select Only file federal return).  Had to file the State return on paper.    My best guess is that the filing portion of the code detects the State Return is out of date, but the manual update portion of the code only updates the Federal Return.  Hope Intuit is listening...

Many thanks for responding!  De-selecting the California state return from e-filing did indeed make it possible to e-file the federal return.  The state return still produces a dialog box that says updates are available and must be applied before I can e-file, so it may be necessary to file by paper.

I am impressed (and grateful) that someone in the community chose to respond, but I am totally unimpressed with Intuit support.  There is clearly an issue with the software; telling users to talk among themselves to figure out a workaround is unacceptable.
akdurai

I am facing same problem. E-File did not work, asks to update software.  Deselected CA State return and filed only federal return. It went thru. Plan to file the State return on paper.  Intuit is not helpful. I paid $54 for state filing but now I am forced to send paper  returns. What to say...
mike37
Returning Member

Agreed - same BS for me - This is a corp form.  Did not have this problem with an LLC return.  Also not impressed with their support - I hate companies that try to use their users to do their support job for them.

What the heck?  they have a huge bug that wouldn't let us efile state and there's no response and no where to turn?

Is it possible to uncheck the answer above? I suspect Intuit customer support might think this is no longer a problem.
sammerv

Still a problem, unable to file CA state return, WTF Intuit ….

We found this FAQ.  Don't know if it's only for personal versions or the Business program too.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899465-there-is-an-update-available-message-when-attempting-to-e-...>

TurboTax Business tells me I must apply an update in order to e-file. Online-&gt;Check for Updates says no updates available. Re-install did not help. How I do resolve this?

I tried everything recommended by Intuit in the above-referenced post multiple times before giving up and printing the California return.  I'd love to know if the instructions worked for anyone else.
qingsong

TurboTax Business tells me I must apply an update in order to e-file. Online-&gt;Check for Updates says no updates available. Re-install did not help. How I do resolve this?

any update on this?  I am still have the same issue.

I'm going crazy with this, no way I can drive to make it to the postmark on time

No solution here. I just want to make sure intuit knows I'm pretty fucking pissed about it. Not only do they not state that the quick books online version isn't compatible with desktop business. I spend way more time than I should have trying to do my taxes, only to get to the end and realize the $250 on software I spent won't even file the damn thing! I could've just paid a cpa to do it for me! I just filed my federal by itself, they better have a fix asap!

Yes I am experiencing the same problem and the dialog box only appears after you have paid extra to e file the federal and state! Can’t believe they don’t even have a number listed for customer service or tech support so we can tell them about this issue.
This is unacceptable and now how do I get my refund for paying them to e file my state when I have to print and file it by mail?
akdurai

Intuit as a company failed to fix this issue on time. Most of us were trying to meet the March 15th filing dead line.  There are several threads, several posting on this same subject under Intuit Community Support. Yet INTUIT is sleeping over it, collecting money for e-filing and forcing us to rush to Post office with paper filing.  Yes i went to post office late afternoon to post mark my filing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies