Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardbeagle

I am doing taxes for one retired couple, one working person, and one couple with a self-employed head of household. Will the Self-Employed Turbotax be enough?

I have not purchased my Turbotax yet.  I am hoping the Self Employed will suffice for all my family members.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK1
Level 9

I am doing taxes for one retired couple, one working person, and one couple with a self-employed head of household. Will the Self-Employed Turbotax be enough?

If you file the tax returns online, you will have to pay for each return filed, but you will be able to use the program that fits each tax return--(in which case you would choose Home & Business not Self-Employed)

You might want to switch to the TurboTax CD/Download software to save money

• Unless the additional return/s you want to file in TurboTax Online are simple returns and can be filed using the Free Edition, there is a charge for each additional return filed in TurboTax Online.
  • On the other hand, the TurboTax CD/Download software lets you file up to 5 federal returns at no additional cost. More info

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
xmasbaby0
Level 15

The comparable desktop version is called Home and Business.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MaryK1
Level 9

If you file the tax returns online, you will have to pay for each return filed, but you will be able to use the program that fits each tax return--(in which case you would choose Home & Business not Self-Employed)

You might want to switch to the TurboTax CD/Download software to save money

• Unless the additional return/s you want to file in TurboTax Online are simple returns and can be filed using the Free Edition, there is a charge for each additional return filed in TurboTax Online.
  • On the other hand, the TurboTax CD/Download software lets you file up to 5 federal returns at no additional cost. More info

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VolvoGirl
Level 15

In the Desktop CD/Download programs they all have the same forms do you could use a lower version for all returns, even for the self employment.  You will get the most help in the Home & Business version.  Home & Business can do all the personal returns including the 1040EZ and 1040A short form.  

And in the Desktop program you can see and enter directly into the actual forms.  You get one free state program download to prepare unlimited state returns.  But each state is 24.99 to efile or you can print and mail state for free.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.6m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v