turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am deducting the same mortgage interest both under "wages and income" and "deductions and credits" and this seems wrong. Is this really correct?

The mortgage interest is for a rental property.  Under "wages and income," the mortgage interest reduces the amount of my rental income.  Under "deductions and credits," it appears that the same mortgage interest I reported for the rental property is giving me an additional tax credit.  This seems odd to me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am deducting the same mortgage interest both under "wages and income" and "deductions and credits" and this seems wrong. Is this really correct?

You correctly deducted the mortgage interest for your rental property on your rental schedule.

However, you would not then turn around and report the same interest paid as mortgage interest on your Schedule A, unless or course you have two Form 1098’s for two different properties.

To remove the mortgage interest

• Click on Federal Taxes

• Click on Deductions and Credits

• Under “Your tax breaks”, you will see “Mortgage Interest, Refinancing and Insurance.  Click the Edit/Add button.

• You will see Mortgage deduction summary.  Click on the trash can button.  (See screenshot below)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You correctly deducted the mortgage interest for your rental property on your rental schedule.

However, you would not then turn around and report the same interest paid as mortgage interest on your Schedule A, unless or course you have two Form 1098’s for two different properties.

To remove the mortgage interest

• Click on Federal Taxes

• Click on Deductions and Credits

• Under “Your tax breaks”, you will see “Mortgage Interest, Refinancing and Insurance.  Click the Edit/Add button.

• You will see Mortgage deduction summary.  Click on the trash can button.  (See screenshot below)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies