mq2

I am custodian for my 16 yr old grandson's 529 Edu Plan acct. I have received a 1099-INT showing $63 in int and no fed tax withheld. Does this need to be reported?

IreneS

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

No - The earnings generated in a 529 plan are not subject to federal or state income taxes while the funds stay in the account.   Contributions to a 529 plan are made with after-tax dollars. Earnings within a 529 college savings plan occur on a tax-deferred basis.

When the money is used for qualified education expenses, the distributions from the 529 plan are not subject to federal or state income taxes.

[Edited | 4/6/2020 |  11:58am PDT]

IreneS

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

[Edited | 4/6/2020 |  11:58am PDT]