You'll need to make sure that you don't have a state return attached to your Federal return. When you import your W-2 information, it automatically generates a state return. You can delete your TurboTax Online state return as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version):
- Sign in to your return, if you're not already signed in.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the orange Take me to my return button.)
- Click State Taxes near the top of your screen, and then Select Your State Returns.
- On that screen, click the Delete link right next to the Edit button, and then answer Yes.
If you don't see the Edit or Delete button on the Your State Returns screen and haven't paid or registered, please do the following:
- Click State Taxes.
- Select the Your State Returns screen.
- Click Start next to the state you want to delete.
- After the transfer of the information completes, click Continue.
- Once the next screen has loaded, click State Taxes and then select Your State Returns.
- Click Delete next to the state that you want deleted.
- Click Yes.
In some cases, you won't see the option to delete, just Edit and Start Over. This is because you either already paid for your state or registered your free version while that state was attached to your return.