Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am adoped and never got a ssn and my name is not in the records. also the hospital in which i was born no longer exists. what should i do?

i was born in the city i live. but due to a major fire i lost my belongings and my info. I went to get records of my birth but have found nothing. hospital i was born in is gone and i have no way to get in contact with my birth family due to not gaining the info before my parents died

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I am adoped and never got a ssn and my name is not in the records. also the hospital in which i was born no longer exists. what should i do?

This is really not a tax question although you need a Social Security number to file a tax return.

Gather any documentation you can. Anything from schoolwork and report cards, (ask you school for copies of paperwork they have in your record as well), doctor records anything that has your mothers name and/or your name. You are going to need every scrap you can get to help you with your identity issues. going to the authorities though is critical. 

You can also use personal witnesses, such as family members, neighbors and others that can attest of your adoption and birth.  You should get an attorney involved or someone in social services to assist you compile what you need.   I am familiar with adoption and although records are sealed in many states, birth certificates and social security numbers are issued on children with their adoptive parents. 

One more thing, just because a hospital is burned down, documents are sent to state agencies and not kept at the hospital.  Try going to another local hospital to the Social Service department to help you track down your records.

My best wishes too you!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

This is really not a tax question although you need a Social Security number to file a tax return.

Gather any documentation you can. Anything from schoolwork and report cards, (ask you school for copies of paperwork they have in your record as well), doctor records anything that has your mothers name and/or your name. You are going to need every scrap you can get to help you with your identity issues. going to the authorities though is critical. 

You can also use personal witnesses, such as family members, neighbors and others that can attest of your adoption and birth.  You should get an attorney involved or someone in social services to assist you compile what you need.   I am familiar with adoption and although records are sealed in many states, birth certificates and social security numbers are issued on children with their adoptive parents. 

One more thing, just because a hospital is burned down, documents are sent to state agencies and not kept at the hospital.  Try going to another local hospital to the Social Service department to help you track down your records.

My best wishes too you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies