turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elenarb86

I am a US citizen living abroad. I had a daughter this year (born in Australia) so she does not have a social security number yet. How can I lodge my taxes w/o this #?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am a US citizen living abroad. I had a daughter this year (born in Australia) so she does not have a social security number yet. How can I lodge my taxes w/o this #?

Congratulations on your daughter.

Getting a Social Security Number is voluntary.  However, if you want to claim her as a dependent on your tax return, you need to get her a SSN. 

Since your daughter was born outside the USA, she may or may not currently be a US Citizen, and I am not an expert on this, but she may or may not be able to get a SSN if she is not a citizen.

I refer you to the US State Department about the citizenship question, and they may be able to also help with your SSN question.

Regarding citizenship see    https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/tr[product key removed]derations/us-citizenship/Acq...

Regarding getting a SSN

GOOGLE Social Security Numbers for Children Publication No. 05-10023

look for the PDF for this publication number.

In my previous message, I forgot to add that you can

1) File for an extension of time to file your taxes to allow you time to get the SSN, or

2) File your taxes, not claiming her as a dependent and later file an amended return when you get her SSN.

"I had a daughter this year.."

We need clarification.  If your daughter was born in 2020, you do not put anything about your child on your tax return until next year when you prepare and file your return for 2020.  The returns everyone is working on now are for 2019--if she was not born in 2019 you do not enter anything about her on your 2019 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies