turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 64 and made withdrawals from IRA accounts in 2019 and 2020. I am being charged by State of MI a penalty fee this year because I owed 2 years in a row. Any way to not pay the penalty for MIchigan? The federal I did not have to pay the penalty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

I am 64 and made withdrawals from IRA accounts in 2019 and 2020. I am being charged by State of MI a penalty fee this year because I owed 2 years in a row. Any way to not pay the penalty for MIchigan? The federal I did not have to pay the penalty.

It depends, if you receive income unevenly during the year (e.g., from a one time IRA withdrawal, seasonal business, capital gain, severance pay or bonus) you may annualize your income to avoid paying the penalty. Search for "annualizing your tax" and use the Jump to link.

The Michigan Department of Treasury follows the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidelines for estimated tax requirements. Based on the IRS estimated income tax requirements, to avoid penalty and interest for underpaid estimates, your total tax paid through credits and withholding must be:

• 90% of your current year's tax liability or
  • 100% of the previous year's tax liability or
  • 110% of your previous year's tax liability if your previous year's adjusted gross income is more than $150,000 ($75,000 for married filing separately)

You might have to adjust your state withholdings or make estimated payments to Michigan to avoid having a penalty next year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

It depends, if you receive income unevenly during the year (e.g., from a one time IRA withdrawal, seasonal business, capital gain, severance pay or bonus) you may annualize your income to avoid paying the penalty. Search for "annualizing your tax" and use the Jump to link.

The Michigan Department of Treasury follows the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidelines for estimated tax requirements. Based on the IRS estimated income tax requirements, to avoid penalty and interest for underpaid estimates, your total tax paid through credits and withholding must be:

• 90% of your current year's tax liability or
  • 100% of the previous year's tax liability or
  • 110% of your previous year's tax liability if your previous year's adjusted gross income is more than $150,000 ($75,000 for married filing separately)

You might have to adjust your state withholdings or make estimated payments to Michigan to avoid having a penalty next year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies