Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 25 my mom claimed me on taxes. I don’t know why but I also did my own taxes will I receive stimulus check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am 25 my mom claimed me on taxes. I don’t know why but I also did my own taxes will I receive stimulus check

A dependent is not eligible for a stimulus payment.

If you did not check the box on your tax return that you can be claimed by someone else, then you would be eligible for the stimulus check. If you did not check the box and your mother did claim you and you both efiled returns, one of your returns should have been rejected. 

If you did check the box, then you will not get it. 

If you meet the requirements to be claimed as a dependent by someone else, you are required to check the box that you can be claimed by someone else whether they actually claim you or not.  Here are the requirements for someone age 25 by year end 2019 to be claimed as a qualifying relative dependent as your mother would view them:

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
3. The person's gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,200 in 2019.
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
5. The person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

Anonymous
Not applicable

a more importnat question is whether your mom can claim you.  since you are 25, unless your totally disabled, you are no longer a qualifying child but you could be a qualifying relative if all these test are met

• your gross income for 2019 less than $4,200
  • your mom  provided over ½ your support

if the answer to either or both of these tests is no, your mom can't claim you.  and she'll need to amend her return 

in that case you'll need to paper file claiming yourself.  if both are yes only your mom can claim you (don't know about your father). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies