turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am 22 years old, a full time student, and I have a part time job. I don’t live with my parents and they don’t pay for my expenses. I live with my grandparents. Can my parents still claim

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am 22 years old, a full time student, and I have a part time job. I don’t live with my parents and they don’t pay for my expenses. I live with my grandparents. Can my parents still claim

If you lived for more than 1/2 the year with your grandparents then they should claim you UNLESS you live with them because of schooling reasons ... then your parent's may be able to claim you. 

Who can I claim as my dependent?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2017 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements for either a Qualifying Child or a Qualifying Relative:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,050 in 2017(not including SS benefits).
  • You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

and to add some clarity to @Critter meaning of 'schooling reasons'... let's say your parents live far from college and your grandparents live near the college, and you are living with your grandparents as a convenience so you don't have to pay for a dorm or apartment.  THAT would be for 'schooling reasons'.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My grandparents actually raised me so I’ve been living with them since I was a couple of years old. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies