luvgodnmusic94

I am 22 and got married in June. I graduated in Dec. and only made ~$2500 so my parents claimed me as a dependent. Should I file jointly or separately with my spouse?

My husband probably made about $18,000.

ChristinaS

In order for your parents to claim you, you cannot file jointly with your spouse.

If your parents provided more than half of your support, they should claim you. Your husband should file separately. Also, based on your question, they already did claim you. So, if you went  ahead and filed a joint return with your spouse, you would end up creating a conflict.

If you file jointly with a spouse who made $18k, they will be unable to claim you on their return. And, if you are truly their dependent, you are best to not interfere with their ability to claim you.

Your husband didn't make a lot of money either. However, the benefit your parents get from claiming you is likely better than the benefit your husband gets from filing a joint return with you.

Even if your parents claim you, you can file a Married Filing Separately return indicating that you are being claimed as a dependent.

ChristinaS