turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 17 have graduated high school, and work 30 hours a week. I also have a child. I still live with my dad, but help with the bills. Can I claim my son on my taxes?

My dad is disabled and does not work. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I am 17 have graduated high school, and work 30 hours a week. I also have a child. I still live with my dad, but help with the bills. Can I claim my son on my taxes?

You didn't say whether your father files a tax return. Even though he doesn't work, he might have income. If he does file a tax return, he might be able to claim you as a dependent if you did not provide more than half of your own support for the year. If your father can claim you as a dependent, you cannot claim any dependents on your tax return.

If your father cannot claim you as a dependent, you can claim your son as a dependent on your tax return. When you enter the information about your son in TurboTax, read all of the questions carefully. One question will ask how many months your son lived with you in 2018. If he was born in 2018, select "The whole year." The next question will ask whether your son provided more than half of his own support. It's not asking you whether you supported him. That doesn't matter. It's asking whether he provided his own support. I assume he didn't, so you would answer No.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You didn't say whether your father files a tax return. Even though he doesn't work, he might have income. If he does file a tax return, he might be able to claim you as a dependent if you did not provide more than half of your own support for the year. If your father can claim you as a dependent, you cannot claim any dependents on your tax return.

If your father cannot claim you as a dependent, you can claim your son as a dependent on your tax return. When you enter the information about your son in TurboTax, read all of the questions carefully. One question will ask how many months your son lived with you in 2018. If he was born in 2018, select "The whole year." The next question will ask whether your son provided more than half of his own support. It's not asking you whether you supported him. That doesn't matter. It's asking whether he provided his own support. I assume he didn't, so you would answer No.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies